Keep, Toss Or Donate? A Quick And Easy Guide To Decluttering Your Home
We’ve all had that moment of realization.
It happens out of the blue one day when you look around your home and see stuff scattered on the countertops. Maybe when you open a closet to find it packed to the top. Or you’re tearing through junk drawers, cabinets and boxes looking for something and just can’t find it.
You stop in frustration and ask yourself, “How did I get so much stuff?”
Stuff – or the more precise term would be clutter.
It happens to all of us.
The things we own add up year to year, cluttering up our living space. Before too long, nearly everywhere is filled with things and sometimes even gets to the point where we’re renting storage space to store these things.
Things we haven’t seen in years. Things we don’t use. Things we don’t even need anymore.
That’s when you know it’s time to declutter your life.
How To Declutter
Getting rid of stuff you don’t need is more difficult than it sounds for many people, mainly for three reasons:
- Emotional Attachment – the thing brings back memories.
- Perceived Value – it’s still worth something right?
- Sunk Costs – thinking about the money you spent on it when you bought it.
These three things are powerful motivators preventing us from getting rid of clutter. But if you want to make a change and really streamline your home and your life, you’ll have to make rational decisions.
You can do this by asking yourself three questions:
- Does this add value to my life?
- Do I regularly use this (or how long has it been since I’ve used this)?
- Do I really need it?
If the answer is no to any of these questions then the item can safely be labeled clutter.
And clutter needs to get gone because getting rid of clutter not only frees up space in your home and makes your home look more appealing, it also:
- Relieves stress
- Makes things easier to find
- Keeps things organized
- Creates a sense of accomplishment
So how do we tackle this impossible task? It’s simple and all you need is three boxes.
The 3 Box Method
The 3 Box Method is perhaps the easiest way to declutter your home. You take three large cardboard boxes and label them: Keep, Toss and Donate.
- Keep – all the items you want to keep
- Toss – throw it away or recycle
- Donate – give to a friend, family member, someone who can use it or charity
You go room to room with your boxes, pull everything out and start filling the boxes.
Be HONEST about the three questions when you ask them, or your Keep box is going to fill up quick. When the Keep box fills up, you have to make the hard decisions.
Don’t make another Keep box.
- Set small, attainable goals with a timetable
- Make a list of rooms from worst to least cluttered
- Do one room at a time so you don’t get overwhelmed
- Start with countertops
- Put like items and duplicate items together
Take it slow, room by room. Before too long your home will be cleaner, leaner and looking better than ever.
And you’ll be surprised how much better you feel by just ridding yourself of a little clutter.
Looking for a stylish new apartment within walking distance of the best entertainment and dining Coral Gables, FL has to offer? Gables Grand Plaza offers you spacious apartment living with first-class amenities and premier service all in the most convenient location around.